Tuesday, July 12, 2011

To Have and To Hold chapter: 2 (teaser)

The first chapter of To Have and To Hold had a huge response, which I'm so happy and excited about. I hope it lives up to what everyone is expecting. Here's a little teaser of the second chapter. I'll be posting this chapter on Friday the 15th. Thanks to everyone who is reading and sent such lovely words about the story in their reviews.
EP

~*~


After a while I got up and decided to do the dishes Edward had left from his attempt at making breakfast this morning.  The burnt on eggs were hard to scrub out of his pans but for some reason scrubbing those pans made me happy. It made me feel like I had a purpose and a reason for being there.  I heard a lawn mower start up outside a little while later.  For some reason the smell of freshly cut grass smelled so good.  I wanted to go outside and just take it in.  I dried my wet hands on a towel and walked outside to sit on the front porch.  I watched and breathed in deeply while Edward mowed the lawn. 
“Shawn, get back here!” a woman shouted while a little kid, who looked to be about four or five years old, ran across the yard in front of me.  “Shawn!”  She chased after him while he giggled and tried to hide from her.  He ran up on the porch and used me as a hiding spot.  To help this noticeably frazzled mother out, I grabbed him around the waist and held him still.  He squirmed and tried to get free from my arms but I did my best to hold him until his mother got to him. 
“Let go!” he whined.
“Sorry, Buddy, I think your mom wants you,” I informed him.
The beautiful, blonde haired woman walked up to the porch with a relieved look on her face and grabbed the little boy by the wrist.  “What were you thinking?” she scolded.  “I’ve told you a hundred times not to run from me.”
He squirmed free from her grasp and ran to a man who was chatting with Edward in the front yard.  He wrapped his arms around the man’s leg and glared over at his mom.
“I’m so sorry if he bothered you.  He’s been in a rebellious stage lately.  I seriously don’t know what to do with him anymore,” she apologized.
“It’s completely okay.  I’m glad I could help you out by capturing him,” I giggled.
“I’m surprised he came up by you at all.  He’s usually very shy around strangers,” she pointed out.
I looked out at him again and saw Edward ruffle the boy’s hair and say something the little boy obviously thought was funny. 
“That’s my husband, Emmett.  For some reason Shawn thinks he can get away with anything when daddy is around,” she said.  “I’m Rose McCarty.  We live next door.”
“Isabella Swan,” I introduced shaking her hand in greeting.
“You must be one of Edward’s girls.”

No comments:

Post a Comment